New Years is just around the corner which means that new resolutions are as well. Here are some of the lifestyle resolutions you might be making anyways and how they will help with your hair as well!
Foods to eat in the new year for healthier hair and healthier you!
Having a healthy diet is a key factor to stopping hair loss and promoting hair growth. Depending on your schedule it may be tough to adhere to some of these standards, but most are easily followed once you make a conscious decision to stick to the plan. Some key dietary points to note:
- Eat fresh fruits and vegetables everyday. Leafy greens (e.g. lettuce) and sweet juicy fruits (e.g. melons) are especially good, and fruits that are ripe are easier to digest.
- Be sure to consume an adequate amount of protein everyday. Protein is required for all cells in the body to grow, including hair cells. Lean proteins and low-fat milk or yogurt are best, as they are easier to digest. Animal proteins (i.e. dairy, meat, seafood) are especially beneficial because they are complete proteins, in that they contain the eight essential amino acids that the body cannot produce on its own, but are required for protein synthesis and muscle growth. Proteins are also a good source of B-vitamins and zinc.
- Eat several servings of whole grains everyday. They are easy to digest and also contain biotin, silica and iron, which are essential to maintaining healthy hair. Brown rice and lentils are great options, and are also easy to incorporate into one’s diet.
- Try to incorporate seeds and nuts into your diet. They can be eaten as a snack or with a meal. Seeds and nuts (e.g. walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds) provide essential fatty acids which are vital for promoting hair growth.
- Include spices in your meals. Spices help the body to absorb the nutrients from the foods that you eat. These nutrients are essential for promoting hair growth. Some everyday options include parsley, oregano and black pepper.
- Cut down on processed foods. These foods usually do not contain much in the way of nutritional value, and they also contain additives, which help give it a long shelf-life but can have a negative impact on the body.
- Have a multi-vitamin and a time-release Vitamin C tablet everyday. A daily multi-vitamin is important because even with a great diet, it is hard for the body to receive all the vitamins and minerals that it needs in order to promote hair growth. Vitamin C helps the body to repair the small muscle tears that occur when you exercise (which is also a key part of my program). If the body has to worry about repairing muscle tears, it cannot concentrate on growing hair.
- Stay hydrated. Be sure to drink enough water to keep the body replenished, but sipping water every fifteen minutes is unnecessary. Eight to ten glasses of water a day is a good target to keep the body hydrated. Please keep in mind that fruits and vegetables are largely composed of water, and can also be used to reach the recommended hydration level.
Lifestyle Recommendations for Great Hair
Exercise is just as important as a healthy diet when it comes to growing your hair back. Exercise helps to reduce stress, which often contributes to hair loss. Increased stress levels constrict the blood vessels which supply blood to the scalp. If the blood flow in the scalp area is insufficient, the scalp cannot receive the nutrients that it needs in order to promote hair growth. Some important points to remember:
- Don’t stress out. Constantly thinking about losing your hair is stressful and will only cause you to lose more hair. Instead, focus on what you can do to stop the hair loss and direct your energy towards improving your lifestyle.
- Create a tri-weekly weightlifting routine. There are a couple of essential exercises which should be incorporated into your routine. Crunches help to make the body’s core strong and will help you to perform all other exercises with proper form. Squats work some of the body’s largest muscle groups and help to release a large amount of growth hormone, which helps all the muscles that you exercise to grow. Lifting weights also releases endorphins, which help to put you in a positive state of mind. The endorphins are very helpful when trying to deal with something that seems impossible to change, such as hair loss.
- Practice yoga twice a week. Yoga classes are offered at most health clubs and there are also a number of very good DVDs in circulation. A comprehensive yoga session will take you through a variety of poses that workout the entire body. Yoga helps to put you in a more relaxed state of mind, and also makes the body’s muscles more flexible.
- Try to do some form of aerobic exercise twice a week (e.g. running, treadmill). Aerobic exercises also help the body to release endorphins.
- Always breathe deeply. Deep breathing purifies the blood and helps it to carry nutrients and oxygen to the cells of the scalp, which in turn help to promote hair growth. Breathing deeply is also a great stress reliever.
- Get an adequate amount of sleep. As someone who often works eighty hour weeks, I know that getting six to eight hours of sleep per night can be almost impossible. If you don’t have enough time to get that much sleep everyday, ensure that whatever sleep you do get is in a comfortable environment. Sleep is a great stress reliever and also helps to clear the mind.
We're gearing up for the new year with some samples! Join our beta group to get first access to Strands samples: Join our beta group and get involved.