Have you heard of sulfate-free shampoo? It’s the new key term in the hair industry and you’ve probably seen it on many popular shampoo brands. It could even be in the one that you’re using right now!
What is Sulfate?
Sulfate is also known as sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), sodium Laureth sulfate (SLES), and ammonium laureth sulfate. If you think that those names are long, then consider the list of cleaning agents and personal care products that contain sulfate. Matter of fact, you probably have such products in your homes, such as your dish soap, laundry detergent, or shampoo!
Why is it used in so many products?
Sulfate is the substance that creates foam when you lather shampoo on your hair and traps and removes dirt and oil when you rinse with water. At low concentrations, sulfate may be safe to use, but with frequent use and at high concentrations, it can be very harmful and cause irritation, dryness, and redness to your skin. Although it can effectively move dirt, it does it “so well” that it strips away your natural oils and hair protein and damage your skin cells, which is not good for you!
Still not convinced that you should go sulfate-free?
Benefits of Sulfate-Free Shampoos:
- Maintain natural oils because sulfate strips your scalp from natural oils and dries your hair fibers
- Retain moisture in the hair
- Mild and gentle without drying or irritating your scalp
- Retain and extend your hair color
- Environmentally friendly because it is plant-based
- Good for sensitive skin and tear-free!
- Suitable for any hair type
Now some concerns about sulfate:
- Not healthy – linked to cancer and irritation to skin, eyes, and lungs
- Not environmentally-friendly – Derived from petroleum, which is associated with climate change, pollution, and greenhouse gases, and from palm oil. It’s also connected to the destruction of tropical rainforests for palm tree plantations.
- Not animal-friendly – Many products are tested on animals to measure levels of irritation.
Some people may prefer the feeling of lathering foam and the strength of shampoos with sulfate. However, most people will agree that the harm outweighs the benefits! If you have kinky, frizzy, curly, damaged, dyed, or coarse hair, then go for sulfate-free shampoo! It’s also perfect for those who suffer from dandruff or a dry scalp.
At Strands, we leave out harmful ingredients, like sulfates and create your hair care with high-quality ingredients that are optimal for you!